Marc M. Zaré, MD, FACS
Advanced Laparoscopic & Bariatric Surgeon
- Partner, Surgery Associates – San Jose, CA – current
- Director, Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Good Samaritan Hospital – San Jose, CA – current
- Member, Board of Directors, Good Samaritan Hospital – San Jose, CA – current
- Assistant Professor of Surgery, Boston University – 2004-2008
- Director of Minimally Invasive Surgery (MIS) & Surgical Simulation, Staff Surgeon, Boston VA Healthcare System – 2004-2008
- Clinical Instructor of Surgery, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill – 2003-2004
- Fellowship, Advanced Laparoscopic and Bariatric Surgery
University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC – 2002-2004
- Residency, General Surgery
Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC – 1997-2002
- Graduate Medical Education
Kasturba Medical College, India – 1989-1996
- Chief Resident, Department of Surgery, Georgetown University - 2002
- Outstanding Resident in Laparoscopic Surgery – 2001
By the Department of Surgery, Georgetown University
- String of Pearl Award nominee – 2002
By the Class of 2003, Georgetown University Medical School
“For dedication & commitment to teaching medical students” !
- ABSITE Travel Award – 2002
By the Department of Surgery, Georgetown University !
- Medical School Honors – Surgery, Medicine, Obstetrics & Gynecology,
Orthopedics, Preventive medicine, Pathology, Pharmacology, Microbiology,
Physiology, Biochemistry, Anatomy !
- National Association of Microbiologists Award – 1992
For highest scores in Pathology in Mangalore University
- Association of Clinical Biochemists Award – 1991
For highest scores in Microbiology in Mangalore University !
- Kasturba Medical College Gold medals – 1991, 1992
For highest scores in Pathology & Biochemistry
Diplomas & Memberships
- Diplomate, American Board of Surgery
- Fellow, American College of Surgeons
- Member, Society of American Gastrointestinal & Endoscopic Surgeons
- Member, American Society of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery
- Itani KMF, Zaré MM. Uncommon Abdominal Wall Hernias. In: Bland KI,
Sarr MG, Buchler MW, Csendes Attila, Garden OJ, Wong J, editors. General
Surgery. 2nd ed. London: Springer-Verlag. 2009. !
- Weiss ES, Zaré SM. Hematology. In: Makary M, editor. General Surgery
Review. 1st ed. Washington DC: Ladner-Drysdale; 2004. p 288-296 !
- Mukherjee D, Zaré SM. Extremities Vascular Trauma. In Edizioni Luigi
Pozzi s.r.l, editor. Vascular Emergencies, Pathophysiology and Surgical
Treatment. 1st ed. Rome. 1998
- Zaré MM. Surgery for Severe Obesity. Hospital Physician 2008. Wayne (PA): Turner White Communications 2008. Available at http://www.turnerwhite.com/memberfile.php?PubCode=hp_sep08_obesity.pdf
- Zaré MM, Itani KMF, Schifftner T, et al. Mortality After Nonemergent Major Surgery Performed on Friday Versus Monday through Wednesday. Ann Surg 2007; 246:866-874
- Zaré MM, Itani KMF. Surgical Residency: Beyond 55 Miles and 80 Hours. FOCUS on Surgical Education 2007; 24: 26-28
- Zaré MM. Minimally Invasive Surgery: Review Questions. Hospital physician. Wayne (PA): Turner White Communications 2006;42(9):39-40. Available at http://www.turner-white.com/hp/hp03_past2006.htm#september
- Zaré SM. Galanko J, Behrns KE, et al. Psychologic Well-Being of Surgery Residents After Inception of the 80-hour Work Week: A Multiinstitutional Study. Surgery 2005;138(2):150-7
- Saund MS, Zaré SM, Prasad M. Superoxide Enhancement of L-Type Ca2+ Channels in Colonic Smooth Muscle is Dependent on Gβγ and PI3-Kinase (Abstract). SSAT 2006;47:M1874
- Zaré MM. Surgical Management for Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease. In: Itani KMF, editor. Hospital physician general surgery board review manual. Wayne (PA): Turner White Communications 2005;8(Pt 4):1-12. Available at http://www.turner-white.com/brm/bgene.htm
- Morton JM, Zaré SM, Behrns KE, et al. National trends in Heller myotomy utilization and outcomes from 1988 to 1998. Surg Endosc 2003;17:S255
- Ganasoundari A, Zaré SM, Devi U. Modification of bone marrow sensitivity by medical plant extracts. Br J Radiology 1997;70:599-602
- Zaré SM, Galanko J, Behrns KE, et al. Psychological Well-Being of Surgery Residents Before the 80-hour Work Week: A Multiinstitutional Study. J Am Coll Surg 2004;198(4):633-640
- Zaré SM, Morton JM, Farrell TM. Resident Well-Being: Perceived Stress and Self-Esteem. Surg Endosc 2003;17:S257
- Bariatric Surgery, Santa Clara Rotary Club - 2017
- Advancements in General and Bariatric Surgery
Good Samaritan Hospital Sponsored Physicians’ event – 2013
- Bariatric Surgery: Prescribing a Metabolic and Weight loss operation
El Camino Mountain View Grand Rounds – 2010
- Single Incision Laparoscopic Surgery
Northern California Chapter of the American College of Surgeons – 2010 !
- Surgical Management of Severe Obesity
Boston University medical students lecture series – 2006 to current
- Whipple procedure. A technical and historic perspective
Nursing lecture, Boston VA Healthcare System – 2007
- The Story of Surgical Outcomes: From the Golden Goose Ostrich to the
Surgical Grand Rounds, Boston University, Boston, MA – 2006
- Elective Major Surgery leads to higher mortality when performed on Friday
as compared with Monday through Wednesday
Meeting of the Society of University Surgeons, San Diego, CA – 2006 !
- Surgery for Morbid Obesity: An overview and update
Boston Swallowing and Motility Disorder Society, Boston, MA – 2005
- Has the 80-Hour Work Week Improved Psychological Well-Being of
Surgery Residents? A Multi-institutional Study Report
Surgical Grand Rounds, Boston University, Boston, MA – 2005 !!
- Psychological Well-Being of Surgery Residents after inception of the
80-hour Work Week: A Multi-institutional Study
Meeting of the Society of University Surgeons, Nashville, TN – 2005 !
- Obesity Update: Ghrelin, New Kid on the Block
Multidisciplinary GI conference, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill,
NC – 2004
- Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease: Debates, Controversies &
New Paradigms. Surgical Grand Rounds, Boston VA Healthcare System
Boston, MA – 2004 !
- Psychological Well-Being of Surgery Residents before and after
the 80 hour Work Week: A Prospective Multi-institutional Study
Surgical Grand Rounds, Univ N Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC – 2004 !
- Chronic Pancreatitis: To Resect or not to Resect
Multidisciplinary GI conference, Univ N Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC – 2003 !
- Surgery in Chronic Pancreatitis
Asheville VA Medical Center, Asheville, NC – 2003 !
- Resident Well-Being: Perceived Stress and Self-Esteem
SAGES meeting, Los Angeles, CA – 2003
- Ileal Pouches: An Overview
Surgical Grand Rounds, Georgetown University, Washington, DC – 2001
- Precise Role of Imaging in Acute Abdomen
Surgical Grand Rounds, Georgetown University, Washington, DC – 2000
- Hydatid Cyst of Liver: Diagnosis and management
Surgical Grand Rounds, Fairfax Hospital, Falls Church, VA – 1999
- Living Donor Liver Transplant
Surgical Grand Rounds. Georgetown University, Washington, DC – 1998
- Radiomodifying effects of plant drugs on mouse bone marrow
The 11th International Medical Students Congress. Istanbul, Turkey – 1995
- Modification of radiation-induced hemopoietic stem cell lethality by
Withaferin A, Plumbagin & Ocimum Extract. International Symposium on
Radiomodifiers in Human Health. Manipal, India – 1995 !
- Clinical comparison of Carcinoma of Proximal colon, Distal
Colon & Rectum. The 10th International Medical Students Congress
Istanbul, Turkey – 1994
- Member - Board of Directors, Good Samaritan Hospital, San Jose - 2018 to current
- Director of Bariatric Surgery – Good Samaritan Hospital, San Jose – current
- Member - Board of Directors, Santa Clara County Independent Physician Association, Los Gatos - 2014 to 2016
- Chairman– Dept. of Surgery, Good Samaritan Hospital, San Jose – 2014 to 2016
- Director of Minimally Invasive Surgery– Boston VA, 2004-08
- Chair of task force –OR scheduling and patient safety, Boston VA, 2006
- Chair of task force – OR digital integration project, Boston VA, 2007